Independence Day 2010

This holiday weekend was spent exploring quite a few lakes in the area. Friday night after work found us at a party on our lake, Trout, hosted by our friend Joe who just bought a home on the southern end. Saturday we were pretty low-key, just cleaning up around the house, since my parents will be visiting next weekend. Then to celebrate the 4th on Sunday, we went to an awesome BBQ/game night/fireworks show at Mat & Heather's on Pokegama.


We had today, Monday the 5th, off from work, so Vic and I headed to the Brainerd area for some Kohls and mini-golf. It was so much fun, and along the way we picked up two more lakes to add to my collection:

Hole in the Day Lake, Crow Wing County



Smiley Lake, Cass County


Addition: Vic found Hole in the Day Lake on the map, and we decided to visit because it clearly has a fun name. I decided to Google it later on and found that it is named for a former chief of a local band of Ojibwe natives. The full story can be found here:
http://www.sandylakeojibwe.org/holeday.htm

This lake project began as something to make my coworkers laugh, but it has done so much more than that. It has caused me to explore Minnesota in places I might otherwise not have, along with giving me a new appreciation of nature and history. Vic thought I was weird at first, cruising my little Rio down tiny dirt roads in search of an oddly-named lake. But after a few excursions, he thinks it's fun too and is helpful in finding new fun lakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment